Friday, November 23, 2007

RECIPE: Chocolate Nugget Cookies

(Continuing with recipes for the Thanksgiving week -- I'll get back to restaurants on Monday.)



I invented this ultra-chocolate cookie recipe after going through a whole book of "chocolate cookie" recipes and not finding a single one that was chocolatey enough. They're simple and really satisfying. (And they freeze really well. Which is good because if you keep them in the freezer, you won't be tempted to eat them all in one sitting.)

  • 1 stick butter
  • 3/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2/3 cup cocoa
  • 1 tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar together, then stir in the egg and vanilla. Mix the dry ingredients together, and then mix them into the batter. Scoop out lumps a little smaller than a walnut. Bake at 350 for about 13 minutes. Cooking time depends on size of cookie and the variations your oven. I use a cookie scoop to keep the size regular and that helps a lot -- since chocolate cookies don't really brown to tell you they are done. Timing is everything.

These are actually best just undercooked. Once they cool, they take on a fudgy texture - not gooey, but rather a moist cookie that fractures the way fudge does when you break it. Melt in your mouth.

Blatant Advertising:


I love my cookie scoop. I LIVE by it. It really has made my life much easier. As I said above, a scoop is particularly important for this recipe. The ideal size for these cookies is the small scoop by Oxo. (It's also a very good sturdy scoop -- I've had other brands fall apart from over use, but the Oxo is still going strong.) This size is great for small meatballs too. The medium size is good for large meatballs and for a more medium sized cookie. You should be able to find this in town, or you could buy it from my Amazon link: OXO Good Grips Small Cookie Scoop.

No comments: